Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Scrappy Sock Monkey Hat

Sock Monkey Hat

I don't use patterns much these days. Usually I just plan what I want to make and start hooking. Sometimes it works - and sometimes not... but I like it that way!


On the rare occasions when I do use a pattern, I tend to start out with good intentions to follow it all the way through - but somewhere along the way I get all distracted, and end up doing my own thing.

The other day I was trying to help someone out with a pattern they were struggling with, and it seemed that the easiest way would be to grab my yarn and hook, and test the pattern out for myself.

To be honest, I don't love this one. There's nothing wrong with the pattern itself, it's just my project which is leaving me a little cold. I think it's the eyes. They don't POP as much as I'd like them to. In fact, they kind of get lost in the scrappyness of the hat.

Maybe it's just that I don't have an adorable model to pose wearing the hat for some photos. This hat is a size 0 - 3 months... and my Little One is almost two and a half years old. I did try it though. Just in caes it MIGHT have fitted her! 

Not. Even. Close.

Anyways... the pattern is from Sarah Zimmerman at Repeat Crafter Me. It's called the Crochet Sock Monkey Hat and is written for all sizes, from newborn to adult.

Sock Monkey Hat

1 comment:

Loren said...

Yeah, the eyes - that struck me right away. You know what to do. What about making the mouth line more into a smile?