Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Felting Experiment

So I'm working on a felted beanie...

First time ever.

And I have NO IDEA how it will turn out.



In a way, every time you felt it's a bit of an experiment.

I mean - you never seem to know just quite how your yarn will react to the process.

It's sometimes even a complete mystery whether it will felt at all.

Of course, you could always felt a swatch piece...

But let's face it. I never do that. And I like to think that I'm in the majority on that one.

(Although I could be wrong).

Hats for Beanie Festival

And this time I'm trialling something a little different.

I'm using two yarns worked together: one strand is a navy feltable wool and the other one is my Crazy Yarn. The Crazy Yarn is made up of short leftover scraps all knotted together. I have no idea what fibre most of it is. In fact, it would be safe to say there's a little bit of everything in there. Some of it is definitely cotton, some is bamboo, some is acrylic. None of those fibres will felt.  So what will happen when they are put through the felting process with a 100% wool?

I have no idea.

But I'll do it anyway - Just for FUN!




I also have no idea if the beanie will fit a normal adult head after felting...

But it can always be a kids hat...

Or one for a GIANT.

1 comment:

AngelRoseLite said...

I love your idea! What an adventure. I hope you share your pictures and thoughts on it soon :)