Monday, February 20, 2012

Cloth Napkins

IMG_1078

Lately I've become very conscious of the waste that we generate in this household, and how we can reduce it. For so many years now, we've been hearing about the need to be more environmentally aware... sometimes I think that we get so drawn into the Big Picture, that we totally forget about the small scale stuff!

Relax.

I'm not heading into a huge self-righteous monologue about the Evils of Modern Society and how we are Destroying the Planet...

(besides - I'm quite happy using disposable nappies... and toilet paper!)

I'm more about the superficial and fun side of recycling...


IMG_1099

Over the years, our family have become HUGE Paper Serviette Fiends.

Seriously... we will use paper serviettes for any and all occasions... and very rarely is it just the one serviette... usually it's a huge wad of them.

I've been justifying their use, because they're not expensive... and it means there is no excuse for the kids not to clean up after themselves.

But I have to admit, it is a giant waste - and we don't really need them...

So I've started making some cloth napkins. They're just a random assortment of scrap fabrics from my stash, sewn into double sided squares.

I figure the exercise serves THREE purposes:
  1. uses up some of my insane stash of fabric
  2. improves my sewing skills
  3. cuts down on disposable waste

IMG_1103

But I think I'm going to need more than just the three.

IMG_1079

1 comment:

psmflowerlady said...

Just guessing, but yep - I'd say you'll need more than 3. In the meantime, especially for the "little ones" you could use dishcloths.