Thursday, October 23, 2008

my green challenge

green yarn from dawn 003

I know that it looks almost completely felted... in fact, you can hardly identify the individual strands of yarn here. But I am going to see if I can revive this yarn. I have a bag full of it... I haven't counted, but there's probably about ten balls. It was given to me by Dawn who is a fellow Crochet Lover. You might remember that Dawn very generously gave me a ball winder a little while back.

I'm assuming that the yarn has not been stored kindly over the years, and that is why it has felted a little. It also has a strong cigarette smoke odour.

So my plan is to gently unwind and skein the yarn, then wash and dry it, and ball it again. That's as far as the plan goes at this stage. I'm not sure what I will make with it, but some ideas will probably come to mind as I am handling it.

Fingers crossed for a successful revival...

green yarn from dawn 001

5 comments:

Sam said...

Oooh! That sounds very interesting. Could you take photos as you go along, because I'd love to see how you do all that. :-)
Pretty pleeeeease! :-))

Karen said...

Well, there's a lovely challenge and I too would like to see you 'show as you go'. The presence of other than mohair bodes well for the felting aspects being not totally gripping.
Good luck and what fun.

laughing purple goldfish said...

sam - since you asked so nicely, and you used your very best manners... of course I can :)

karen - I'm hoping that the viscose/nylon will have prevented too much felting too... it doesn't mention the actual percentages on the label, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

I hope it works !! It's a lovely colour and has a gorgeous texture.

laughing purple goldfish said...

stramenda - so far, so good... I'll be posting pics soon