Saturday, August 30, 2008

the base

Working some more today on the Lisa Gentry Yarn Bag.

Firstly... I knew that I wanted to stiffen the base, so the bag would sit nicely and keep its shape. I'll need something plastic, just in case the bag ever gets wet.

9

I found this plastic piece which was the base of an old laundry bag. It's quite thick, but still flexible... so it should do the trick beautifully.

10

First I cut out a circle the same size as the base of the bag. It is a bit of a rough circle... but as long as there are no sharp corners, it will be fine.

11

Now I add some holes. If you are squeamish... close your eyes! It is not a refined process. I am literally stabbing holes into the plastic, using a metal skewer.

12

I need holes so that I can actually attach the base to the bag. Twelve holes are plenty.

13

I've popped the base in... ready for stitching.

14

15

Using one of the yarns from the bag and a wool needle, I am sewing right through the plastic and the crochet bag

16

17

I'm stitching over a few crocheted threads and then going back into the bag and through the same hole in the plastic again.

18

I don't need to worry about the mess on the inside... this will be covered by the lining. Mind you, I do like to ensure my starting and finishing knots are on the underside of the plastic.

Ready for the lining now... click here for details

4 comments:

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

Simple yet effective base, now to find some plastic to follow your directions.

laughing purple goldfish said...

lol... just the way I like it cat... SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE

Anonymous said...

You know, I'd never thought of actually sewing in a base. All those grocery bags that I have that my bases fall out in the car, and its this simple ! Excellent idea !

laughing purple goldfish said...

too easy! and you only have to go to your boot to find them :)